
I sort of have a bad habit. When I am REALLY WORRIED about something, I tend to only talk to Heavenly Father and my Husband about it. It is difficult for me to let others help me carry my burdens. Let them make me dinner. Watch my kids. It is SO HARD for me to ask for help. PRIDE? maybe. Or maybe I worry about burdening others with our problems. I can't seem to talk about anything without becoming an emotional basket-case.
So~ I should apologize. I have mostly been sharing our brighter moments. Our family has been having some difficulties lately. It has been an emotional time. The house has been a mess, as we have been preparing to sell it. Our days have been filled with construction projects.....and Dr. visits. Specialists. Praying constantly under my breath. Worrying about our little baby girl. Downplaying the magnitude of the word "if." It has been difficult.
You may have read a post I made nearly a year ago. It was about the relief we felt when our prayers were answered for our Daughter. You can read it here.
We have had some more difficulties surrounding the situation concerning the birthmark on Avey's back. About 5 months ago it started to grow and get very rigid and bony, directly over her spine. The tissue changed color, and began to grow larger to her left side. We've been visiting a Neurologist for some time now, and consulting with several doctors over her situation. It was quite puzzling for every professional we saw. We have been given many scenarios of what "could be" going on. Some of these suggestions crippled us with fear, and some left us with hope. We were told it could be everything from a bony deformity to possibly a malignant or cancerous lesion. There was the possibility of inoperable fatty tissue being tethered to her spine, only to eventually cripple her, or maybe a split spine and sac. Her original diagnoses of "Soft Tissue Hemangioma" was no longer fitting the mold of what is happening with her. We have been quite scared for her health and life. Our visits with the Neurologist at Primary Children's were both encouraging and discouraging. He was honest and gave us the devastating scenarios, but also left us with hope, because the she was displaying no Neurological deficits, besides some briskness in her reflexes. He was very helpful to us, and though this journey has been expensive, we are so grateful for knowledgeable doctors and residents, and their ability to help us figure this situation out.
As you can imagine, getting the news of a possible life-threatening situation for your child has been devastating for us. And stressful. We pondered the possibilities of how we would pay the medical bills, and thought of selling our home. We put on our smiling faces, and tried to be as normal as possible. I would be lying if I said I haven't cried myself to sleep some nights. I have been sick with worry. Judd has been a rock, and has handled things well. Sometimes, I think he has so much more FAITH than I could ever have.
Today I am crying. But, they are tears of JOY. We received the BEST news we could have gotten this week! Avey was hospitalized on Tuesday for some more testing, and a sedated MRI. The Neurological Radiologist that we saw spoke with us after the MRI, and gave us AMAZING news. Her hemangioma had grown considerably, and had grown hard and calcified, but was in the process of involuting on itself. (basically beginning the process of disappearing completely) So, though it appears to be scary, and may still require surgery (depending on several factors), it is still basically a benign lesion, that is NOT tethered to her spine, or causing any deformity of her spinal column as of yet. AND to answer more of our constant prayers, there were no confirmed cavernous hemangiomas growing on or in any of her organs...(which was another scary possibility)
We are crossing our fingers that the hemangioma continues to "eat itself alive" (as we like to say:) and will continue to pray that it doesn't change it's mind, as they unpredictably can...
We will consult with Neurosurgery in the coming month, and continue to consult with Neurology throughout the coming years, and repeat testing every so often, but this has been WONDERFUL news. We are so BLESSED. The lesion should completely disappear eventually! (though to look at it, you wouldn't believe it.) Also, the expense of this journey has not been what we were expecting, and we should be able to pay for it over time:) We are still selling our house, but hopefully to just find a LARGER home for our family.
Sorry that I haven't said something about this yet. I hope you all understand. It seem that there are so many other friends and family members whose trials are so much more than ours. I hate to complain. Still, it was important to write this down...and therapeutic as well:) Thank you for reading.... If you've made it this far, you deserve a medal:)
I love all of you. You bless our lives.





21 comments:
Holy crap keiauni!!!! i had no clue! i am soooo sorry this is going on! but what fantastic news eh?? my friend shelly just went through this with her daughter, not the bony kind, just the large swollen hemangioma on her shoulder blade, it started when she was 3 mos and has just recently been resolved through plastic surgery like a year later. but she is very healthy and happy and no further complications. i am so relieved, but heartbroken that you are having to go through this right now! hang in there, we will be say saying prayers!
if you wanted to see my friends blog ( whos daughter just finished up her hemangioma ordeal) http://rwolffamily.blogspot.com/ look at some of the posts from the last few months.
that is so heartbreaking, I can't even imagine the feeling of having something possibly life threatening to my kids. I am so super happy for you that it seems to be getting better and will keep you guys in my prayers. Thanks for sharing, I am glad to know about it so we can give our support.
Oh, sweetheart! I'm so glad you felt you could share this on your blog. I understand the therapeutic aspects of a blog, but the desire to only show the "good times".
Love you so much, girl, and miss you! When you feel up to it, let's do lunch and have some relaxing girl time, k?
Quin and I are so happy for you and your family. This has been such a scary and heartbreaking situation, and we are so glad things worked out for the best. Thanks for sharing this story - you guys are such great examples to us. You are in our prayers.
Wow you guys!!! What a scary thing to go through! We hope everything continues to go well, please let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do!!!!
OH my goodness! I am so sorry that you guys have been through so much in the past few months! I am so happy that it's looking positive right now. I've been thinking about you and wondering what you guys were up to. I'm glad that you wrote about your sweet baby.
...I hope you sell your house super fast and that things can settle down. When you guys feel up to it, call us and we'll party...well you know. :)
Holy cow! I know all to well what you are talking about due to it being my line of work and I had no idea. I'm glad you got good results though. We will keep our fingers crossed for you.
I'm with you I have a hard time throwing it out there, but now we can all pray for you and the family that this will continue to have a positive outcome. love you.
So scary, we are so sorry and praying for you and and your family.
Oh my heck, I am so sorry you guys, I know how stressful life can be, but I am glad that you were at least sharing it with your husband, and that he was being a rock for you. I am so glad that the doctors said that it is disapearing...I pray that it will also. Please let me know if there is anything I can ever do. I wish we lived closer so that I could help out with the kids, but let me know if you ever need me this summer. Love you guys, give that little angel kisses from me.
We are so glad that the news you received after the doctor's visit was GOOD news. We will continue to pray that everything goes okay. We love our little cousin, Avey!
(thanks for the tip on getting some newspapers. I'm looking into it!)
What would we do without the strenghth of our family and the gospel in our lives? thank you for letting us know about the trials that are going on in your life. Like Melissa said, I to spent every day doing MRI'S on patients that are going through life changing health issues in there lives. You can tell the ones that are anchored in the gospel and the ones that aren't. We are glad that Avey is improving and that you have received the news you have. We will keep your family in our prayers. Hope to see you at the family reunion this summer. Judd I did an exam on a man who with his wife are in the process of preparing to go on there mission to Boston. I thought of you when he told me this. Love Mike & Julie
wow! that sounds so stressful!!! we will keep the little princess and your family in our prayers.
I can't even imagine how you have felt. Thanks for sharing this story, your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Love you tons!
Keiauni, I am so sorry that you have been going through this! You should let us know so, if nothing else, we can pray for you and Avey! I know how it is, though, we are the "strong"ones, the people that are called to help, not the ones who need help. It's so hard to get over that, I know.
I am so glad that Avey is going to be great and will pray for her continued progress.
Much love
Megan
Keiauni, I do know how scary it is to receive life threatening news for your child. However, I do know as well that the Lord watches over us and there is a plan for our families. It is not always easy and I am sorry you have to walk this path, but it sounds like positive news as of now. How lucky you are to be so close to a wonderful children's hospital that has some of the bast specialists in the world. Try not to worry about the medical bills, just do what you can do and they will have to work with you. Trust me, we will be paying for Eden long after we die! We will keep you, Avey and your family in our prayers and I pray that the Lord will continue to comfort and strengthen you.
Love, Keisa
Thank you, everyone...So much for all your thoughts and prayers. We appreciate all of you so much!
((HUGS))
Keiauni
Keiauni,
I send my love and prayers. How terrifying. I had no idea you were dealing with this. You are a strong girl. I love you and hope and pray for little Avey's health.
Love you,
Susy
thanks for sharing your feeling with all of us!! I so know exactly how you feel about trying to keep things in but doesn't it feel good to let them all out once in a while?? anyway--glad for the happy ending!! She seriously is such precious little girl!!
I'd say you're strong! Glad you've gotten good news. Great job on Sunday, too. I don't like to get up in front of people for the same reason. Haven't you ever noticed how stupid I look giving the RS lessons??? I can't keep my emotions under control, either. :) And you're trying to MOVE???????? I hear your house is a great one....I'm sure we could never afford it though. Dang student loans! ;)
Post a Comment