Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Some Hospital Shots....

Comparing bellies!


Letting out some ROARS!

BIG Brother LOVES.


So tiny and new.



So I was thinking that I hadn't posted the story of Avey's birth... so here it goes:







About December 20th, I started to have some really good contractions... they were erratic though, so I just mentioned to my doctor that they were pretty hard, just not regular timing. He checked me, and I was a 3 and 80%. He said that the baby's head wasn't staying engaged in the pelvis bones, but it would float up when he touched it. He had some technical name for the "condition" but I can't remember. Anyhow, he mentioned that my body was creating hard false labor throughout the day, to push her head back where it should be. I was so MISERABLE!



Dr. Klingler said, "I think you'll have her in the next few days...but if you don't I'll start you on the 27th. Don't want you to be miserable any longer than that."







A full week later, I am back in the Dr. office with steady contratactions 5 minutes apart. He says, "you're in labor, you are a 4 and 90%" I tell him about how I almost went to the hospital about ten different times that week, but the labor never gets worse, and the contractions haven't gotten any closer. I just feel nauseous from the nagging pain and pressure. I tell him I don't think I'll progress on my own. He laughs, and says " If it keeps up for the next hour, go to the hospital, we might keep you...he- he- he." (did anyone ever tell him that pregnant women hate jokes? ...or was it a joke?) I went home, and an hour later my labor fizzled out, and didn't start again for another 3 hours. I cried. Judd said, "let's just go." I wouldn't. I was terrified of being sent home. I thought it would be humiliating. 2 days later...I am so sick I can't leave bed. blah!







One week later, Jan. 3rd (my due date) I am back in the doctor's office. He walks in the room, and says "Why didn't you go to the hospital last week? I called and said you were coming, and went to check on you... YOU WEREN'T there! I thought for sure you would have this baby that day! We could have done some things to get it rolling!" (huh? I thought you were joking last week! Now I feel more miserable.) He checks me nearly a 5 at 90% with a bulging bag. I tell him that I have been in labor for two weeks, and I am WORN OUT! I tell him that I am not progressing on my own, and he finally believes me... he say " I keep thinking your going to have that baby any minute... but maybe she just needs a little help." (YES! I've been saying that!!)





The hospital calls at 5:30 am the next morning to cancel my scheduled induction... Just as I am about to completely lose it, the nurse says..."Nevermind, were sending someone home, she wasn't ready... You can come at 6:00 (am) after all." Phew! I am so relieved, and try my hardest to budge a snoring Judd out of bed. I was too excited to sleep that night!





We arrive at the hospital at about 6:30 am (Judd is still really tired!) and after the whole check in process, I am finally in a hospital bed getting ready for some pitocin at 8:30am. I am a 6 and totally effaced. Nurse comments...That is definitely a bulging bag. My sister arrives to watch the birth. Yay! I am in total pain, but happy to see her. The IV is started at 9:00, and at 9:30, I've changed my mind about not having an epidural. Seems that pitocin makes labor alot sharper than I remember it being with Ash. Dr. comes to break my water @ 9:45. Uh-oh! MECONIUM! (I was dreading these words) They call the respiratory team in, and every nurse on call, just in case. Anesthesiologist comes to give the epidural. I get one. IT WORKED!!


(I can't believe how well! I couldn't feel a thing!) I was a 10 by 10:00am, and then the nurse says, "go find him! This baby is going to fall out!" She basically holds the baby at bay for 25 minutes, and then proceeds to raise the bed as high as it will go. Turns out my Dr. has a bad back, and doesn't like leaning over. (Does anyone know that those things go about 5 feet off the ground?) By the time that the 12 respiratory/nurse team files in, and they flip on the spotlights, I am feeling like a freak in the circus, or that I am having a freakishly wierd dream. Does anyone want that many people in the room watching you have a baby, especially when you are 5 feet off the ground? I am invited to push at 10:50am. One push, and then one small "half power push" after they unwound the cord from her neck, and she arrived @ 10 :55. Lots of black hair. She was so tiny. No cries. They start working on her lungs and then a hear a little bleat. Like a tiny lamb. They worked on her for a while... to keep her safe from getting pneumonia, then FINALLY gave her to me. Judd (yes, he was there, did I forget to mention that?) and I looked at Avey Violet. He named her that as soon as she came out. She was tiny and beautiful. We cried. So many people came to see her right away. I like to think she could feel all the love. We love her so much!

1 comment:

Susy said...

That was fun to hear the whole story! I really can't wait to meet the little gal!