Tuesday, August 26, 2008

This is really SPECIAL....

Sunday... My little monkeys were SO good at church, until the very end. I was trying to nurse the baby in the foyer (with my hooter hider, of course:) and keep an eye on the boys the last 1/2 of sacrament meeting...(I was single on Sunday, as usual...so I couldn't moniter my boys and go to the mother's room...which is PRIVACY compromised anyway(he. he. another story), so why not nurse in the foyer?) Things went as well as they possible could in that situation, until the meeting ended, and everyone left the chapel. Avey was still eating and nearly asleep, so in my COMPROMISED position, it was obvious to the boys that if they wanted to do something, I wouldn't be able to stop them. They went up to the stand and turned the microphone on. They started slow, and made low noises in the microphone that weren't noticable...then the noises proceeded to get rude. Ughh! I was so frustrated, but still nursing. I asked a nice guy in our ward to go ask them to stop the naughtiness. HOW EMBARRASSING! They finally stopped the microphone business after the BISHOP went in and told them to please stop. (CAN I GO AND CRAWL under a rock??) I quickly wrapped up nursing, and went in to fetch my little HELLIONS. (can I say that?) I was met by the sight of them using the stand IN THE CHAPEL as a balancing beam ("like the OLYMPICS, Mom!") and being as quiet as can be.
I uttered no words. I held up my hand and started counting by holding up one finger at a time.
This signal in our family, means BIG trouble. They marched straight over to me, and knew not to say a word. I got everything ready to go, and they somberly followed me to our minivan. I told the kids, "we are going for a ride, and we are going to talk about how we should act at church. We are not stopping this car until you can tell me 5 things that are OK to do at church, and 5 things that are not acceptable at church." They moaned. Asher said "NEVER!" (that is his big threat:) Eli said " I wish I could die right now." But as the car ride proceeded they decided to break down, and do what they were told. I then gave a short lesson on Sunday Etiquette. After I was done talking, It occurred to me, it would be nice to go to the cemetary and see our Grandma's graves. If you look on the date of the headstone above, it says that Grandma Vay died Aug 24th 1996. It so happened that we were visiting her on Sunday Aug 24th, 2008! Here's the crazy part. I NEVER just feel the urge to go to the cemetary, but it felt like it would be a reverent place to go, so we went. I did not even notice the date on the headstone when we were there. I felt like Vay was happy that we were there, and that I brought the kids to visit.
When Judd got home from work he said " My Dad called today, and asked that I go visit grandma Vay's grave today" I looked at him and said "how come today?" and he said "today's the 12th anniversary of her passing away..." I was so surprised! I told him "are you kidding?" and told him that I had gone there today with the kids looking for some peaceful feelings, and that I had taken pictures. We hurried and pulled the pictures up on the computer.... Holy cow! The date says it all! Now I know why she was happy to see us:)

14 comments:

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sara said...

That is a special story. Those kids balancing in the chapel, classic.

Kyle and Janell said...

That is dang cool. I'm glad that the day ended right for you. I liked reading the boy's initial responses to your question, maybe Janell and I will have a boy someday...

Melissa said...

Holy moley! my little monkeys havent pulled any stunts like that yet...( hurry and knock on wood) but that says that you were listening to the spirit despite the crazies! how great!

diana said...

Whoa. Sounds like a crazy Sunday. I'm impressed you have a "signal" that works so well. I love the Olympics reference. Can you blame them? Don't we all want to be Olympians right now?

And so crazy about the cemetery. Crazy but cool.

Your kids are so cute.

Susy said...

Don't you love moments like that, that leave you feeling like you really are inspired sometimes? Well, I guess I should speak for myself...I feel like I'm only inspired "sometimes". You one the other hand probably have moments like that daily. So awesome!

Janet said...

I loved their comments, they remind me of older versions Matt and Spencer, that is So cool that you went there!! We haven't been there for years, we need to go. Maybe we can see you guys too. I love Avey's room. You should go into business :) SERIOUS!!

everything petersen said...

I love when I feel inspired to do something and following the feeling. It brought tears to my eyes!

I remember how Kobe would act when I was nursing. I can only imagine how you felt with your boys.

Melissa said...

Why is it that kids know when to be naughty? That cracks me up.

The Yarn Queen said...

Those are times when you wish you could yell in church. GOtta love your boys.

Candace said...

Hey I just wanted to tell you thanks so much for "listening" because we are so far away I am not able to go visit Grandma Vay very often. I'm sure she was so happy to have you and your kids there. It made my day just to see the pictures and think of her. So thanks again.

Candace said...

To answer your question Kella's teacher is Sandy Stevens. She taught school I think at the middle school or maybe high school. I just know she was Kyle's teacher and Kella absolutely loves her. What grades are your kids in?

Jill said...

Judd told us about this and we think this is a great story. We sure do miss you, the boys, and Avey.

The Ridgway Family said...

What a great story. I agree with you in that I think the cemetery is a very spiritual place. I really enjoy visiting Eden's grave and Marcus and I always comment on how peaceful and comforting it is to be close to her. I think it's a great Sunday activity and our girls love to visit their sister as well.

Love you, Keisa