TODAY IS A WONDERFUL DAY, for I am going away... NOT TO THE DOCTOR, not to the ZOO, can't you guess, I'm GOING to SCHOOL!!!
Yes, ds E actually attended a parent supervised day of kindergarten today. He liked it. Didn't love it. I think that it is going to require a positive attitude, and a lot of positive attention on me and dh's part, to light some enthusiasm for him. (The sun was bright, and getting an open eyed shot, was a challenge:)
Things were busy today. I am trying to be more reflective lately, and I was thinking back to my first day of kindergarten. I wasn't afraid. I made friends quickly and easily, and enjoyed my teacher. I wasn't worried about any of the small stuff. I have a fond memory of watching my teacher Ms. Osterud shake a jar of cream until it turned to butter, then her serving the butter on saltine crackers, for us to taste. It was so fun, because we all took turns shaking the jar.
I remember being a team in kindergarten, being kind to one another, and none of the children having any knowledge of socio-economic status, name brand clothing, or who was good looking, and who wasn't so cute.
I also remember getting older though, and how some kids were ostrasized (sp?)for wearing the wrong brand of jeans, or wearing ill fitting clothing, and others were bullies, and others looking like they weren't well cared for at home. I worry about school, because I know how cruel kids can be to one another, and I WANT TO PROTECT MY BABY!!
I am grateful for public school. for hard working teachers, and what special needs programs they do have. I wish they had more opportunities for special needs students in our county.
Through all this thinking though, I think I need to remember one thing or two. Be a soft place to fall for my son. Encourage him and be positive about his experiences. Help him. Love him for who he is. Help him find his gifts and talents. Love him. Love him. Love him.





1 comment:
Cute photo! Yes, it is a huge rite of passage sending your baby to school. But you and he will do great!
Post a Comment